Login as a User

how to tarp a flat roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to tarp a flat roof
Asked: 2019-08-08 15:03:34
Hello, I want to tarp my roof for the winter season, as I'm afraid of leaks and damage. It's flat. Has anyone here done this?

Answered: 2019-08-10 00:49:12

Yup. I couldn't get a pro out to fix it after a huge storm, and I got a really good tarp that lasted me over two months. Dead easy. Buy one that is the highest quality you can find. Clean off the roof, measure the area that you need to tarp. Give at least 4 inches for overhang, then attach the peak end with cap nails to 2 x 4 wooden planks, then attach the wood to the roof. Pull the tarp reasonably tight and put nails about every 10 inches along to secure it. Then secure the edges and you're sorted.

Answered: 2019-08-09 07:00:15

Make sure you measure everything beforehand. A bit of overhang is good but there's no point having it flapping in the wind. Also, when you're doing it, make sure you have good shoes on, with good grips, so you don't slip.

Answered: 2019-08-08 19:24:43

I put a temporary tarp up last year and it held well throughout a very rainy season. I followed this video, here's the link, hope it helps: href"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biEH3lkILKc" > description

Answered: 2019-08-09 23:09:29

You don't need to be handy at all to stick up a tarp, it's one of the easiest things you can do at home. Check out this guy - he will show you how: href"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC4ynfF8JrE" > description

Answered: 2019-08-10 13:25:21

Really secure the edges or the wind will blow under it and then rip it to shreds. I used long strips of scrap wood to secure the tarp to the facia board. You can also secure the tarp on the roof at the edges. I used the facia board because I didn't want to put even more holes through the roof structure. Use strips of wood about 2 - 3 feet long and nail them at the roof edges. Angle them slightly so water doesn't collect behind them. Put the strips almost side by side but do leave some space between them so water can run off your roof and not collect behind the strips. Once one side is secure, you can pull the tarp tight on the other side and repeat the process. Also secure the tarp at the front and back (the peaks, if there are any).

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers