Login as a User

How to protect a concrete roof from rain

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to protect a concrete roof from rain
Asked: 2019-08-31 02:45:56
We live in Portland, and I'm sure you all know how rainy it gets here. We've got a concrete roof on the new house, and I want to know if there's anything I can do to weatherproof it a bit?

Answered: 2019-08-31 08:18:25

This is where Wikihow is your friend! I used this when I wanted to waterproof my concrete roof description so I hope you find it just as helpful.

Answered: 2019-09-01 23:37:13

What you need is a proper concrete sealant. Topical sealers can be made from acrylic, epoxy and polyurethane based materials. Many are decorative in colour and style. A good concrete sealer will last around five years before reapplication is required. You can apply it yourself easily, just take care when you're up on the roof.

Answered: 2019-09-01 04:02:35

Concrete just isn't waterproof. I mean, you probably can't get a new roof right now, but I just don't know why they put concrete roofs on in places that have lots of rain. Anyway, have you gutters put in? This will help the rain run off. Otherwise, get in a pro who can maybe put a slope in for you.

Answered: 2019-08-31 14:43:00

There's a few things you can do. You should apply some hydro coating. It should be something that is meant for outside use. Pay special attention to the edges, the places where your slab connects with surrounding walls etc. Then, since under the slab is a living space (which is being heated) you should install thermal insulation to prevent condensation, which also can cause humidity problems. If you use thermal insulation which soaks water you must wrap it around with a foil. Then you can put some metal sheets on top of the roof. Keep in mind that sheets cannot be HORIZONTAL. There MUST be some slope. Again, pay attention on the edges, they should be placed so water cannot find the way in. That should help.

Answered: 2019-09-01 11:33:00

I live in Louisiana, so I feel you with the rain. You probably need an elastomeric roof coating.Firstly, you'll need to clean the roof, repair and fill any cracks/gaps/etc and remove any peeling drylok, apply an appropriate primer meeting the manufacturer's suggestions, then apply at least two coats of the roof coating. I'd also recommend that any sloping/drainage issues be addressed as well in order to avoid heavy pooling, where possible.Don't get cheap roof coatings. A white coating tends to last longer and reduce roof temperatures.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers