Login as a User

how to build a flat roof over a deck

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to build a flat roof over a deck
Asked: 2019-04-19 03:17:22
I decided to build a roof over my house’s deck and I’ve run into quite a few problems so far. One of them is that a roof would end up getting in the way of the building’s windows and I need the sunlight. My neighbor has recently built a flat roof on his deck, so I guess this is the best way to go, really. How do I build a flat roof over a deck? Is there anything special that I need to do or can I just follow what I would normally do in a situation such as this one? I’m pretty lost here, can someone help?

Answered: 2019-04-20 19:24:12

Building a flat roof over a deck is not that different from building flat roofs elsewhere, except that you don’t really need walls if you don't want to and that you already have the deck on the ground, so you can use it for support. The first step should be to acquire a permit with the local authorities, though. Without a permit, you will not be able to start construction legally. Creating the roof requires the installing of connectors and posts to support the building.

Answered: 2019-04-20 01:27:05

The procedure would require someone to set up the foundation of the flat roof, joists and then the actual roof. You should note, though, that you need to acquire a permit with your local city administration before you do it. Having a skilled contractor is also a good idea, as you should not be doing this by yourself unless you have done it before.

Answered: 2019-04-19 20:48:52

To install a new flat roof on top of your old deck, you will need a lot of timber (or steel, if you want to use this material instead). After installing the foundation of the roof, which should be very solid and tied to the house’s structure, you need to install the actual roof. Be sure to measure it so that the weight is well divided.

Answered: 2019-04-21 00:47:51

It’s a great idea to build a roof over your deck. Not only it can protect you from the rain, but it will look great if done with care. It is important to do it legally, though, so you may want to contact the local authorities to get a permit. Here’s is a useful fact sheet I found, which can tell you a lot about building regulations description.

Answered: 2019-04-19 21:02:14

One way to do it is by installing post base connectors to the ground, then installing support posts afterward. It can be important to use temporary bracing to keep the posts level. After that, install header beams, bolt the structure to your house’s wall and finally using the joists on top of it. After the structure is done, you can just do the actual roof, which can be done by installing plywood roof shearing, for example.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers