Login as a User

how to install gutters on a metal roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to install gutters on a metal roof
Asked: 2019-11-10 15:47:42
I recently decided to install a gutter on my house with a metal roof, I did not have one before and it was not ideal when it rained. Now, my vacation has just began and I can do something about it. However, I started to read about it a bit and have seen that it’s not really as easy as it looks. For instance, using metal strapping is considered a bad idea in this case. I have never done this before, so I’m afraid to screw up somehow, which is why I’m here looking for help to do it properly this time.

Answered: 2019-11-12 16:06:28

Apart from what you cited, there are no other major differences. Just don’t place directly on the roof, use the rafters instead. The rest is all about carefully planning. You need to understand where the rainfall will probably accumulate and insert the rackets there. They will lead the water into the gutter, which should be placed in a way in which the water will not accumulate, too, such as a garden.

Answered: 2019-11-12 05:17:59

You are right, attaching the gutters right into the metal roof is not a good idea because it can damage your roof. What you should instead is to attach the brackets to a wood rafter. The preparation for the installation requires you to measure the rafter tails and decide how many gutter brackets you need in this situation. Mark the position for the gutters, screw them into the rafter tails and finally install the gutter after the brackets are in place.

Answered: 2019-11-11 04:15:17

I understand that the main difference in your case is that you will have to use the rafters below the roof to install the gutter brackets. Installing them on metal can cause damage to your property as time passes. The damage may not be apparent, but it may happen in time. Apart from this, the rest of the process is pretty normal.

Answered: 2019-11-11 09:00:25

Your best shot is to use the rafters, as everybody is saying. The gutter brackets should be strong, too, or they not support the weight, so buy quality products on a store that you can trust. If you ever have another doubt about roofs, I found this very useful guide. Hopefully you can use it, to understand more about them. description.

Answered: 2019-11-12 03:10:57

The main difference in this case is that you will not attach the brackets directly to the metal roof, but on the wooden rafters instead. First install all the brackets and then you can finish by installing the actual gutter, which can be made of plastic or metal. Just drill it on your wall and it will work very well.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers