Login as a User

can a roof be too flat for shingles

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. can a roof be too flat for shingles
Asked: 2019-12-03 02:34:49
I have to help my brother with his new roof. Can a roof be too flat for shingles cause I thought they had to be a certain angle or something like that. I don't know. Please help.

Answered: 2019-12-03 16:23:39

Okay, I tried to look this up for you since it made me curious since my dad is trying to do the same thing. I think there’s a minimum requirement of 2:12 slope for flat roofs before you can put shingles on them. However, I also read that shingles aren’t really good for flat roofs anyway so you guys might want to reconsider. Up to you all.

Answered: 2019-12-04 09:02:39

There is in fact a minimum of 2:12. You shouldn’t really put shingles on a roof that’s lower than this slope. Flat roofs shouldn’t really have shingles on them anyway since they can create damage faster since rainwater seeps through. I hope this helps you figure out what to do with your brother.

Answered: 2019-12-03 03:56:02

I was researching on this the other day and found this description which explains that there is a minimum for how flat a roof can be to put shingles on. A roof can’t be smaller than a 2:12. Most cities won’t let you shingle a roof that has a lower slope than this.

Answered: 2019-12-04 19:09:46

You wouldn’t there would be a minimum, but there’s a 2:12 miniumum requirement for roof having shingles on them. Most cities won’t even allow you to put shingles on roofs any lower than this slope, so you might have to do more construction to make the slope higher if your brother’s roof is too low.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers