Login as a User

can you build a deck on a flat roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. can you build a deck on a flat roof
Asked: 2019-05-22 08:16:03
I need an estimate for a new deck to be built onto my house. But I live in a house with a flat roof. Is there any company that provides this service and how much would it be?

Answered: 2019-05-24 04:03:35

I know you'll save money and there's a huge advantage in building a deck on top of a flat roof. The biggest pro for this type of construction is its cheaper to build. Any materials needed for flat roofs when building out a new deck are relatively cheap. For instance, a flat roof insulation board usually goes for about .80 cents per foot. That makes it cheaper in materials, installation and crew time because the nstallation of flat roofs is quicker and easier. You can also install things like solar panels, which save on electricity, and satellites. This is very cool for making repairs and cleaning gutters much easier and more affordable. description.

Answered: 2019-05-22 19:04:44

Don't know how much as you'll have to ask your contractor. Actually it depends on if you have a deck already there or not because if you don't, you're talking about different expenses, materials, and labor costs. If you're starting from scratch, your project planning phase will take a bit longer and overall cost is more than if you were just upgrading an existing deck. But if you're just upgrading the deck and you have the previous roof deck had plans associated with it, you can usually skip over doing the new drawings and submitting them to the appropriate agency so your timeline is shorter and costs are less. description.

Answered: 2019-05-24 00:25:11

No one is going to know the cost - you have to speak to the contractor. But if you're going to build a deck on a flat roof you're going to need a fully integrated waterproofing membrane system designed for use on walk-out roof decks for use on walk-out roof decks over a flat roof. You want to also make sur eyou use a hot-air welded seam that makes the deck waterproof over a long period of time. You want to think about where you live and how the weather is going to impact the life of the deck with water, snow, ice, etc. You also want to think about the type of railings you’ll need for your deck for safety purposes because you can use wood, wrought iron, stone or brick. They can even be part of your existing house structure. description.

Answered: 2019-05-23 10:13:04

You definitely can and I have no idea about the cost. First you want to check with the licensing zone in your area to see if its allowed. Then you want to figure out how any work crew will be able to access the roof top deck when its under construction. If its not easily accesible you might have to use cranes and such which adds cost and may annoy your neighbors. You also want to make sure there aren't any obstructions on the deck like with powerlines. You also want to make sure the colors that will go with your house, go with the deck's roofing materials as if you have something that clashes you may have issues with your neighborhood or neighbors. description.

Answered: 2019-05-23 20:01:09

No clue about the cost. But I do know you can absolutely get it done but before you begin building your deck you need to check out various things for safety reasons. You first want to find out if your roof is strong enough to support the deck you want to build. That's going to start by hiring a professional who can inspect it. Technically for a flat roof to support a deck it has to be able to support 55 pounds for each square foot. If the safety inspector signs off on it, you need to get a permit from your local building department and they will need the official drawings. description.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers