Login as a User

how to build a pitched roof on a pergola

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to build a pitched roof on a pergola
Asked: 2019-12-16 10:29:27
My wife seems to think a pergola is just what we need to help keep us shady in the summer. It can’t just be any pergola, it has to be a fancy one with a pitched (or as she put it, slope-y) roof. I don’t really want to hire someone to do this because I can be pretty handy, but this project has me at a loss. How in the world do I build a pitched roof on this dang thing?!

Answered: 2019-12-16 22:43:05

Use the existing structure as a base and simply add whatever roofing materials you want. You’ll probably need to start with plywood, then some roofing felt, and finally add either your tiles or shingles or even the metal sheets. It’s a pretty simple task but can be dangerous if you’re not used to working while standing on a ladder.

Answered: 2019-12-16 18:32:10

I’m not exactly the best at explaining things, but one of the best tutorials I’ve found online on how to build roofs is this description You can pretty well apply it to anything, including your wife’s pergola. Alternatively, you can call a professional.

Answered: 2019-12-16 15:39:31

If you are really clueless about how to build a pitched roof, you should probably just avoid this project and call a professional in your area. Ask for recommendations from a friend or family member and be sure to get several estimates! You and your wife will be far happier with the results!

Answered: 2019-12-17 09:06:20

Do not do this on your own! Unless you have a background in roofing/construction, building a roof on anything can be dangerous! Aside from the materials being used, you’re also throwing in the fact that you’re performing all of these tasks high up off the ground!

Answered: 2019-12-17 04:39:19

Just nail some plywood to the top of the darn thing. It’s probably not going to be weather proof but it’ll block the sun. If she wants the stupid thing weather proofed, then spray some flex seal on it or roll the plywood with some waterproofing paint/stain.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers