Login as a User

how to felt a flat roof on a garage

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to felt a flat roof on a garage
Asked: 2019-12-03 00:43:57
I have recently decided to reform my house and some of the costs are pretty high, so I started doing some of the work myself. Not a bad idea, right? Well, yeah, but some of the stuff is pretty hard. For example, now I’m having trouble to install a felt on the flat roof of my garage. Some people told me it’s really not that hard, but I’m not sure and I really don’t want to screw up on this one. What is the best way to do it? Are there any special tips that I should know about?

Answered: 2019-12-03 20:50:13

Most people would use from three to four layers of felt on their roofs. First, you have to remove everything that was there before. All adhesive, old felt, garbage, etc. After being completely clean, you can put the felt carefully with adhesive. Be sure to make it very smooth and clean so that it will last longer without issues. You can add additional sealing on top of it or solar paint if you want.

Answered: 2019-12-04 23:54:27

Answered: 2019-12-04 16:43:13

You’ll need a hammer, tape measure, a good knife, a broom and obviously the felt to start. The goal is to set up at least three or four layers without any kind of air or dirt between them. FEMA offers a guide with the best practices for covering roofs. description.

Answered: 2019-12-04 09:32:34

Before you start, you should remove all existing nails, adhesive and felt from your roof. With the roof completely dry, remove the gutters (it’ll help you a lot) and then start laying the layers of felt. The idea is to use at least three on them. The first one must be nailed to the wood, so be sure that the place is completely clean not to damage the felt. After that, bond the second layer with the first one using adhesive. Ensure that no air is trapped between the two layers. Finally, install the last one and finish it.

Answered: 2019-12-03 13:51:39

Basically remove what was already there and put the felt in at least three layers. Some additional hints now. Never lay felt on any wet condition. It will ruin it. Unroll it at least half an hour before you finally use it. Also, you should know that it’s a good idea to do it all within a day. You can’t simply abandon it and continue many days in the future.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers