Login as a User

do concrete roof tiles contain asbestos

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. do concrete roof tiles contain asbestos
Asked: 2019-08-16 13:04:32
My grandparents had a house with tile siding, they said it was asbestos. Are concrete roof tiles the same way? Do they contain asbestos?

Answered: 2019-08-17 18:44:14

Anyone that has home built between 1920 and the late 80’s will find that asbestos was used. It was known to be fire resistant and held up well for long periods of time. You say your home was built in the 50’s, so most likely your tiles have asbestos unless they were replaced recently. A good reference is description.

Answered: 2019-08-18 05:21:44

Pre 1970 concrete tiles did contain asbestos. Tiles were made largely of cement with a small amount of absetos. It was not considered harmful. It was actually known for its longevity and fire resistance. There is a great article online that can explain this better than I can. The link is description.

Answered: 2019-08-17 17:40:55

Since discovering that asbestos could be harmful to humans there has been much research to create asbestos free products. Today you are able to get cement tiles that are asbestos free. Science has found other materials that function similar and are safer. One article I have referenced is description.

Answered: 2019-08-17 14:01:37

There has been a lot of research done on the effects of asbestos on humans. I personally think it would be ok to remove the tiles yourself as long as you use some type of mask. Something that keep you from breathing in any harmful particles. New Jersey has written up a thorough article on asbestos. description.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers