Login as a User

How to repair a foam roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to repair a foam roof
Asked: 2019-11-29 16:15:26
My husband doesn't really use the web, so I'm coming on here to ask if anyone knows how to repair a foam roof. Ours is about 12 years old now and we've got some repairs to do. He can follow instructions well, but I don't know where to start.

Answered: 2019-11-30 11:19:11

I've repaired our foam roof a couple of times. Always get someone to help you, getting up on a roof is a dangerous activity and a bad slip could kill you. Make sure the roof is cleaned first with a mild detergent. Remove any blisters by cutting about 1/4 to 1/2 inch around them and lifting them out. I'd put some caulk in there then. You will have to wait a fortnight, then you can spray new foam over it all.

Answered: 2019-12-01 04:33:20

If you buy a foam repair kit with the nozzles, the instructions are right there with it. Simple. Make sure that you have properly filled in any holes. When the foam has dried, you can smooth out any bubbles - don't leave them there because they will just fill with air and create new blisters.

Answered: 2019-12-01 13:35:50

It depends how much repair is needed. You may just need to reapply sealant? You can see yourself how much damage there is. However, if you have problems and a large area needs to be sprayed with new foam, I highly recommend that you get someone experienced to do this. It's just so much hassle trying to remove the old stuff, and beyond that, you probably won't do it properly if you haven't got the experience. They'll need to remove the old stuff and then re-spray twice before putting on sealant.

Answered: 2019-11-29 22:25:54

Ok, take care going up there (I guess that's to your husband). Get a razor knife first. He needs to cut out the blistered parts of the roof and fill them in with caulk. Then he will have to wait around 10 days for that to dry in. Then he can cover the repairs with acrylic elastomeric roofing sealer. This material can be bought at your local home store. Use a roller to apply the sealer.

Answered: 2019-11-30 06:57:58

Here's a video for him.It's by a coatings company but it gives you the basic steps on what to do. It sounds like you're the boss, good woman!description

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers