Login as a User

how to find a leak in a flat roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to find a leak in a flat roof
Asked: 2019-12-01 01:53:44
Hey, can someone help me understand how I can find out where there's a leak in my flat roof. I can't seem to find where it's coming from and I really need to see if I can fix it on my own.

Answered: 2019-12-01 18:48:07

I was looking online to see if I could answer this for you and found this description which talks about how you should look for any areas that branches might have torn through the roofing. Not every spot inside the house will tell you where the leak originated, so you need to look at other areas on the roof like the flashing, parts where patches with roofing tar or caulking, collars around plumbing vents, and other areas on the roof. Then, you can run a garden hose to any trouble areas and seen if water drips through.

Answered: 2019-12-01 23:51:32

You can walk around your roof on a dry day to see if the metal flashing, collars around plumbing vents, patches that had roofing tar or caulking, or other trouble areas that could be where the leak came from. Then, you can use a garden hose to leave on over those areas to see which ones are the one the leak is coming from.

Answered: 2019-12-02 18:19:30

Finding a leak can take a long time, so you have to be patient. You should try to find problem areas such as pateches on the roof that had roofing tar or caulking, check the flashing, low spots on the roof, check the seams for any loose edges, and other areas on the roof where you think damages happened. Then, you can run a water hose on those areas to see if it drips inside your house.

Answered: 2019-12-01 08:02:56

You can look at trouble areas, flaws, low spots, flashing, or other areas of the roof that you think might be potential areas of leakage. However, you should do this when it’s been nice and dry outside for a while because you will need to use a water hose to dribble water over those areas and wait inside to see if dripping occurs.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers