Login as a User

How to remove moss from concrete roof tiles

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to remove moss from concrete roof tiles
Asked: 2019-09-07 01:11:10
My roof is looking a little too green for my liking. It's concrete and I want to get the moss off. How is that done usually?

Answered: 2019-09-09 00:12:20

You should follow this article if you want to get the moss off your concrete roof tiles. There are probably loads of articles like this on the interweb, but I found this really easy to follow. description

Answered: 2019-09-07 05:29:48

Moss takes years off the life of a concrete roof. You may need to have it properly inspected as there's no point in going to the bother of a big clean, if you're going to have to replace it anyway. Plus, you might not know yourself if the roof is unstable, only a professional can tell you that. So, I'd advise you call someone to give it a proper look and check anything that may be damaged beyond repair.

Answered: 2019-09-07 13:14:16

You need to get some proper roof cleaning products or make them yourself. I made a chlorine/water mix, which worked perfectly. You also shouldn't do it on a hot day, as the product might evaporate, so wait until it's cloudy, but obviously not raining. I bought an extendable pole that I attached to a soft bristle brush to get rid of it.

Answered: 2019-09-08 13:40:30

Yep, you need to get that moss off, because it absorbs water. It also feeds on your roof, so you can get cracks and things. Put a ladder up and make sure you have waterproof clothing and shoes on. Then you can simply turn the garden hose on, but make sure you're above the moss, so that you're spraying down on it. After that, you can brush away pieces that are clinging, and move on to another section. It takes time, and standing on a ladder is tiring but you can get it done without any professional instruction.

Answered: 2019-09-07 02:54:38

My uncle is a roofer and he taught me how to do this myself. Do not, under any circumstances, turn a pressure hose on the roof. This can damage it further and get into cracks. It also might not get any moss that you can't see. What you need is proper brush, you brush it off and then you apply a fungicide so it can't grow back. It's worked brilliantly. I apply it once a year - no moss.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers