Login as a User

can you install a metal roof over shingles

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. can you install a metal roof over shingles
Asked: 2019-09-17 08:55:24
Alright hive mind, please tell me how you installed a metal roof over shingles? My brother is insistent that it can't be done, but I bet people have done it.

Answered: 2019-09-19 09:02:58

Not sure what your brother is on about but he's talking through his hat. You didn't give the whole context so I'm not sure why he would be so adamant. Is the roof in good condition? If the shingles are ok and not rotting, then you can absolutely put a metal roof over them.

Answered: 2019-09-17 14:36:42

Check that the shingles are in good condition before you do anything. Metal sheets are pretty lightweight but if the shingles are rotting away, you're setting yourself up for distaster there.

Answered: 2019-09-18 20:46:40

The way to install a metal roof over a shingle roof is using purlins or battens. The purlins are screwed or nailed down to the roof deck, and then the metal is installed to the purlins. The purlins give the installer a flat surface to install the metal roofing panels down on, without the irregularities a shingle provides. The metal will be attached to at least 3/4″ purlin and 1/2″ plywood instead of just 1/2″ plywood, which should make the overall roofing system stronger.

Answered: 2019-09-18 05:22:06

Yes, you definitely can. I did it. Check out the Metal Roofing channel. In fact, I had the link saved, so here you go. You can get in touch with me directly if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help. href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oarZwnTTvFI" > description

Answered: 2019-09-17 21:02:33

Check with your local building department. Perhaps your brother is saying it can't be done because they have specific regulations about it in your area. You don't say where you are but I know this can be the case. However, if they're ok with it, then you can do it. All a question of the metal sheets, some nails and some elbow grease.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers