Login as a User

how to flat roof a garage

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to flat roof a garage
Asked: 2019-08-14 22:40:00
Hello. My name is Zack and I recently decided to replace the roof of my old garage lately. Instead of having a pitched roof, now I want to have a flat roof one. My main problem here is that I never really have done one of these jobs before, so I’m somewhat lost in right now. How can I do it? What are the main differences between the roof I already have and the one I’m trying to build? It would mean a lot to me if someone was able to actually answer my question and give some help with the situation.

Answered: 2019-08-15 11:43:11

If you don’t know how to work on a roof, you shouldn’t do the job by yourself. Precise calculations are needed for this kind of roof. Pitched roofs can use rafters to support most of the weight, but flat roofs are not able to do it this way, which can make it dangerous for someone who does not understand them to do it. If you want to know more about how expensive a contractor can be, I found some statistics here description

Answered: 2019-08-16 17:53:01

The actual process of building the roof is not that hard on itself. What you may find it harder is to calculate the weight that the roof can support, so maybe hiring someone to work with you is a good idea. Flat roofs can’t use normal tiles, though, because they are not made for flat surfaces, so you will need other materials for covering it such as PVC.

Answered: 2019-08-15 02:27:56

You already have the structure of the garage, so most of your work is already done. The first step would be to remove the current roof without damaging the structure of your garage. After that, you need to install the new one. Flat roofs generally use roofing timbers and need joists to support them and can fall apart if they are not done properly, so be careful.

Answered: 2019-08-15 12:52:22

Building a flat roof on your garage is easier than it sounds, especially in your situation. You just need to carefully remove the one you already have and then use strong joists to set up the new one. This will be the most important part of the structure. After that, you have to cover it and there are many material that you can use. My favorite is torch-on felt. Don’t forget to waterproof it, too.

Answered: 2019-08-15 02:05:57

The main difference between a flat roof and a pitched roof is how they support their own weight. While pitched roofs use pitched rafters to do it, flat roofs can’t do that. They need to use several joists to do it. These joists can be made out of wood or steel. The calculations done before the actual installation of the roof need to be precise so it doesn’t fall apart. While pitched roofs generally use tiles for covering, flat roofs can use PVC, felt and mastic asphalt.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers