Login as a User

how to flash a chimney on a metal roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to flash a chimney on a metal roof
Asked: 2019-06-22 06:51:54
I need an idea how to flash a chimney on a metal roof? Have any of you tried?

Answered: 2019-06-23 23:48:12

Be careful with roofs. You might want to check with your local authority to see if you actually can do something with your roof. If it's a historic roof:

Answered: 2019-06-23 00:39:47

Right, I'm gonna give you the steps, follow these and you'll be good. First you trim the panels to fit the chimney, and remove the ones that are there. You bend the legs up the chimney by around an inch. Now, you got to cut two 45-degree notches into the Z-closure (to make a 90-degree bend). Put some butyl tape on the underside of the closure. Fold the closure 90 degrees and then put the roofing all on one side and another half section below the chimney. To close it, get pancake head wood screws, set them 4 inches apart and drill them in. Now do this on the opposite side. Then cut an apron flashing for the bottom. Hem the bottom so it hooks onto the z closure. Use masonry anchors to fasten the apron to the chimney. Apply sealant where the sideflashing will overlap. Cut the bottom of the sidewall flashing at the top and at 45 degrees, you want it to bend around the chimney. Then slide the flashing into place using masonry anchors. Do this again on the other side. Put two layers of butyl tape sealant under the perimeter. Apply sealant where the pan flashing will overlap. Now cut the panflashing and fold it over the sidewall trim and up the back of the chimney. Rivet the sidewall flashing to the pan flashing. Use gasket screws to fix the pan flashing to the roof. Put some butyl sealant on an offset cleat and then fix the cleat six inches from the base of the chimney. Use pancake head screws to put this in place. Now you take the upturned leg of the panflashing and fix that to the chimney with masonry screws. Cover all upturned legs with counter flashing, using masonry screws. Apply a good bit of sealant to all the counterflashing around the perimeter. Remove the upper portion of the lower hook of the female leg of the roofing panel that runs alongside the chimney. This allows an overlapping panel to snap into this section. Install field-hemmed panels above the pan flashing, hook it into the offset cleat. Field trim the male leg to allow a flush fit against the adjacent continuous panel. Finally, install full-length panel over the just-cut male leg. Takes a bit, but you'll get there.

Answered: 2019-06-22 21:46:42

Oh, rather you than me. I wouldn't go up on the roof in this weather, it's outright dangerous. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you could cause an accident. Be super careful. It's best to hire someone that is experienced with roofs and chimneys, otherwise you could do damage.

Answered: 2019-06-22 09:57:53

Yep, putting flashing up is great to protect your roof and I highly recommend it. Myself and my partner managed to do it the year before last. Make sure you have the right tools for cutting metal and brick. You'll also need sealant and a cricket. You can probably find a YouTube video to walk you through it!

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers