Login as a User

how to install lead flashing on a pitched roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to install lead flashing on a pitched roof
Asked: 2019-04-09 17:41:48
A part of my roof has started to leak. A friend suggested that I may need to have the flashing replaced because the water may be leaking in on the edges. Is it possible to have lead flashing replaced on a pitched roof or do I need to have the entire roof replaced to stop it from leaking?

Answered: 2019-04-10 21:53:29

I wouldn’t try to replace the flashing on your own. If you are seeing leaks, there’s a good chance that there is damage to other areas of the roof. The flashing needs to be cut, molded and secured properly and if the roof under the flashing is rotting or damaged, a new flashing will not solve the problem.

Answered: 2019-04-10 02:29:12

You don’t need to have the entire roof replaced because of a leak. Lead flashing can be cut to any size and shaped to fit into the chase on your roof perfectly. According to description, clips are used to hold the flashing in place so the flashing already on your roof should be easy for a roofer to remove and replace.

Answered: 2019-04-09 19:05:41

If the flashing is damaged or not attached properly, it will allow leaks to occur. The flashing needs to be shaped to fit the area perfectly and then attached in the chase using clamps. Once the clamps are in place the surface around the flashing needs to be properly sealed to keep the area from leaking again in the future.

Answered: 2019-04-09 20:35:57

Just have a roofer look at the roof. They can let you know how the flashing needs to be replaced and how it will be attached. You don’t need to know every detail of the installation process if you are hiring a professional to do the work for you. You should hire a pro to ensure that it’s done the right way.

Answered: 2019-04-11 00:41:21

There are many different thicknesses available for flashing and each thickness is designed to be used in specific ways. If a thinner flashing was used on your roof, it may be the reason that you are seeing leaks. A roofer will know what type of flashing is needed for your roof, how it needs to be shaped and how to clamp it into place.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers