Login as a User

How to join a flat roof to a pitched roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to join a flat roof to a pitched roof
Asked: 2019-05-11 10:33:01
Have any of you put a flat roof onto a pitched roof? Do you think I can do it myself?

Answered: 2019-05-11 20:24:52

I went onto green building forum (great site btw) and this guy put up a couple of diagrams that I thought were pretty useful. Here you go, measurements will prob be different for yours but you can judge that yourself. description

Answered: 2019-05-12 14:15:09

What you've got to worry about is weathering it in. You need to carcass the flat roof facia detail, then repair the pitched roof up to the carcassing - i.e. cut roofing battens back, lay felt lapping up the timber, fix battens, and fix tiles (with soakers if necessary) and an abutment flashing, then cover with décor fascia. If the existing pitched roof overhang is such that it juts below the fascia line then you would need to chase your abutment flashing into the masonry. Can get a bit tricky as you get closer to the soffit of the flattie - but doable.

Answered: 2019-05-12 12:43:20

The roof needs to be tied in by lifting up some of the original tiles on the existing roof and then allowing the flat roof to run slightly underneath. After this roofing cement is applied around the complete area and then the missing tiles are replaced. Flashing and more roofing compound are used to weatherproof the joint where they meet.

Answered: 2019-05-11 18:36:38

Course you can. If you've any sense about you, it's a handy job. Joining a flat roof onto a pitched involves chopping all the existing roof stuff that exists below the level of the wall plate. It is largely cosmetic in as far as the "A" framing is concerned. Then build this junction with ply layboards that go up the roof far enough in order to sufficiently weather. Then you fix an angle fillet (which the flat roof material should cover) onto the play layboard and this acts as your first tile kicker.

Answered: 2019-05-13 11:01:21

If you're trying to save money, then you could probably do it yourself but I would personally get a professional to do it. You could end up doing a botched job and then you'll have to pay someone anyway and what's the point in that? You haven't saved anything then. But, if you insist, get yourself on Pinterest and you'll be sorted.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers