Login as a User

how to make a pitched roof on a shed

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to make a pitched roof on a shed
Asked: 2019-03-03 03:48:31
I'm building a shed in our backyard, where we can keep outdoor gear and children's toys when we aren't using them. I'd like to make a pitched roof for the shed but I'm just not quite sure how to do it. Has anyone done this before and have any good tips on making a pitched roof?

Answered: 2019-03-04 19:29:01

ourselves and I think you'll enjoy the sweet sense of accomplishment once you see your finished shed. In order to get the pitched roof that you want you definitely need to do your research and get the right materials measured accurately. Don't halfheartedly do this - take your time to get it right. This will save you a lot of time and stress in the long run. Measure the area of the shed and also account for the height of the roof and what angle you want it to be at. If you do all the measurements and calculations correctly, then you'll be set up to complete your project successfully.

Answered: 2019-03-03 19:28:07

Oh dear - make sure you measure your materials correctly so that you get the right pitch. I can't stress that enough, as we made some big mistakes at the beginning of our shed project and it didn't turn out well. We ended up having to call our neighbor who is a carpenter and he finished it for us. I'm sure you will have better luck than us though as long as you do your measurements right the first time around.

Answered: 2019-03-04 11:24:59

That's a neat project you're working on and you should be proud of yourself for giving it a go. I haven't made my own shed before, but I have made a doghouse so I'd imagine it's similar on a much larger scale. I looked it up and I found that on Shedking.net, the experts explain that the steeper the pitch of your roof is, the more difficult it is to install shingles. Yet the greater the pitch, the more storage you may have in your roof. I hope this helps you with your exciting shed project.

Answered: 2019-03-05 04:27:25

That's awesome that you're making a shed for your backyard. I think you and your family will really enjoy it. The first thing you need to do is measure out your materials and make sure you get an accurate pitch. You don't want the slope of your shed to be too high or too low. Once you make your measurements then you can get started on making your shed. I'd recommend having a local contractor or handyman take a quick look just to make sure it's all coming together nicely. Plus you can ask them if you have any more questions, which may come in handy for you! Best of luck on your building project.

Answered: 2019-03-04 22:58:44

Sounds like a cool project! First thing first, it's super important that you take proper measurements. The more accurate your measurements are, the better your project will turn out. You need to measure the total span of the shed and the total rise of your desired roof design, then you can start prepping the roofing materials, whether that be asphalt shingles or something different. If you run into any problems I would save yourself the trouble and call a handyman who can give you a bit of assistance. After all there's more than 160,000 roofers working every day in the U.S., as confirmed by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. It sure beats getting super frustrated like I did - LOL!

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers