Login as a User

How to keep a concrete roof cool in summer

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to keep a concrete roof cool in summer
Asked: 2019-04-03 09:35:06
As y'all know, it can get pretty hot down here in Atlanta. I was wondering if any of you have some tips about how to keep a concrete roof cool in summer?

Answered: 2019-04-05 07:11:27

So, I have two tips for you. One is to just paint the roof white. White is reflective. This is probably the cheapest and easiest way. Two is that you could add a layer of roof tiles (placed directly on floor of roof) which allow air to circulate under and over, but keep convectional heating of the roof slab to a minimum). This layer of roof tiles is fragile though, so no walking on it!

Answered: 2019-04-05 07:15:12

This is a little different and it probably depends on how high your roof is, but you could cover the roof with things that grow? Like plants, grass etc. Be careful with how much soil you put up there, as the weight might matter, but I did it on our extension and it works great.

Answered: 2019-04-05 07:26:21

When I was living in India I had this problem (now I'm in much colder Oregon!) and I came across this handy article. I knew someone else would need it some day. Great tips from an architect. description

Answered: 2019-04-04 17:43:29

How about you cover your roof with solar panels? Since they transform energy rather than returning it to the atmosphere, they have a slight geo-engineering benefit. This means they reduce atmospheric heat and they don't drive away clouds the way white roofs do. Plus, you get some energy from all that sun!

Answered: 2019-04-04 01:28:43

As soon as you have a dry period, get yourself up there and paint it. Get a nice light color that will reflect well. Just the way light surfaces reflect the sunlight and light clothes keep you cooler, so too will the reflective paint. You're welcome!

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers