Login as a User

how to insulate a metal roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to insulate a metal roof
Asked: 2019-11-29 14:41:17
I've got an oldish roof (but it's in good condition, I've checked) and it's metal. I want to put in some insulation as I think we could do with it in winter. Is this possible?

Answered: 2019-11-29 22:33:20

Yes, get some rigid insulation and put that under the roof (probably under the purlins?). Then put in some fibreglass batts, and you'll need some kind of vapor barrier for closer to your actual living space, unless there's a vent up there, but I'd imagine there is not. You need the vapor barrier to prevent condensation, otherwise there'll be a build-up.

Answered: 2019-11-30 10:48:32

This certainly is possible. I've done it several times (yes, I'm a professional). You can actually do it yourself, there's a great instructive video on the DIY Knuckleheads channel on Youtube. Find it here: href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tnQ98HvfKE" > description

Answered: 2019-11-29 21:50:39

If you don't have a pile of cash (or need to save some money) then this is the poor man's way of doing it. It still works, and it will keep your home cool/warmer and dry. Href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPlaSg657uY&feature=youtu.be" > description

Answered: 2019-11-30 05:11:00

Use foam batting. It lays flat and can be easily installed over or under the sheathing. It comes in panels and it's super easy to install. Since my husband died 6 years ago, I've had to do all these things myself and this was one of the easier things to do.

Answered: 2019-11-29 18:10:14

Insulation helps to conserve energy and reduce noise pollution in your house. I've put some tips that will help you insulate a metal roof. You'll need foam board, paper wrap, stapes, and panels.Take your foam board panels and place them on the inside of the sheathing. If you can, you can also place it outside of the sheathing. Cover up your sheathing with a paper wrap. This makes sure there are no drops of water in the sheathing. Just in case the sheathing is left uncovered, air can get trapped and mold can grow there. Use staples to fasten the sheathing and the insulation sheets. Using staples is the quickest and efficient way of installing the insulation panels? Additionally, they make really tiny holes into the sheathing hence, no room for moisture or any other penetration. Even when doing repairs it is quick to remove them. Make perfect panels cuts and lay them. You should ensure that you have left some gaps while placing the panels. These gaps should be 1/8 inch. They help the air in the roof to flow easily. Now, roof sorted!

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers