Login as a User

How to repair cracks in a concrete roof slab

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to repair cracks in a concrete roof slab
Asked: 2019-04-27 04:12:19
Howdy y'all! I gotta fix a crack in a concrete slab and want to make sure that I'm going the right way about it. So, give me your best tips please!

Answered: 2019-04-29 02:21:15

It's not the shortest video, but then it's not the shortest process. My main tip is that this is dusty work, so protect your eyes, nose and mouth with a proper mask. Concrete is not good for you! description

Answered: 2019-04-27 20:48:56

Is it a narrow crack or a wide one? There's a difference. I'm going to give you my tips for a narrow one, as that's the one I've repaired most frequently. Begin the repair by stuffing foam backer rod into the crack to create a base to hold the repair material. I use a rod diameter that is slightly bigger than the width of the crack. Stuff the backer rod into the crack with a screwdriver to a depth of 1/4 inch. Fill the crack with masonry crack elastomeric filler using a caulking gun.

Answered: 2019-04-27 12:17:42

Ok - here's what you're gonna need. A circular saw, cold chisel, bucket, dusk mask and trowel. You'll also need concrete mix, resurfacer and latex modifier.You need to chisel around the actual crack, create some more space there, about a half inch each side should do, then you chip out the cracked bit. You'll have to power wash the area so you have a clean surface. You may have to vacuum it too. You add some latex modifier to the mix, then spread it across the surface to about half an inch of the original height. Leave that set for a few days, then fill it in with resurfacer.

Answered: 2019-04-27 14:20:41

Is it a wide crack? If so, here's what to do: Chisel the crack with a hammer and masonry chisel to open out the base of the crack. That will dislodge any loose material from the old concrete. Use a wire brush to remove all debris from the crack. Clean the crack with a garden hose and spray nozzle. Remove all water and debris from the crack with a wet/dry shop vacuum or a brush. Make sure to remove all dust and grit from the crack. It's OK if the surfaces are wet, but there shouldn't be pools of water. Mix the concrete patching compound. Trowel the compound into the crack. Push the trowel into the compound to remove air pockets and work the patching material deep into the crack. Fill the crack up to the surrounding concrete surface. Smooth the surface of the patch with the trowel, feathering the compound into the surrounding concrete. If you want, you can brush the surface of the patching compound with a dry paintbrush to texture it. Let the compound cure as directed. Apply a sealant. Think I've covered it all there, man.

Answered: 2019-04-28 07:38:22

Some cracks don't actually need repair, particularly hairline ones. So, check why the crack is there in the first place before going about any repairs. If it's from frost or soil, then you definitely need to fix it. If you live in a very cold area that sees a lot of frost and snow, then I would talk to your local authority about what needs to be done, as they'll definitely have seen this before.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers