Login as a User

how to paint a rusty metal roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to paint a rusty metal roof
Asked: 2019-05-19 21:36:46
My shed roof has gotten rusty and I'd like to put a couple of coats of paint on it. How do I go about this?

Answered: 2019-05-21 12:27:59

Seriously, if you don't know how to paint a roof then you need more help from this forum. That's like basic DIY. Surely you've got a brother, uncle, dad, friend who can answer this for you rather than typing it here. Honestly, pick up the phone and you'll get an answer.

Answered: 2019-05-21 03:18:52

This is dead easy. Scrub off the rust with a wire brush. Then make a solution with trisodium phosphate and water at a ratio of 1 cup TSP per 1 gallon water. You can apply this using a power washer to get more rust off, or just use your hands as it's not harmful. Then wait for the roof to dry. Get a primer that's good for metal and apply that with a roller. You'll need to let that dry in too. Then, get a high quality paint and apply one coat, wait for that to dry and then put a second coat on.

Answered: 2019-05-21 15:40:11

If you properly clean the roof with a special solution to get rid of rust first and then get two coats of high quality paint that protects against rust (cos that will last longer and prevent rust in the future) and smack those on. Job done. One of the easiest things you can do.

Answered: 2019-05-20 07:37:50

Have you heard of Noxyde? That's what I used and it stops corrosion too. Miracle product as far as I'm concerned. Give your roof a good power washing beforehand and wipe off any bits of rust remaining.

Answered: 2019-05-21 20:56:15

BBG The Professional can help you out here! Video link is just below, it'll give you step-by-step instructions to sort your rusty metal roof. Href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xELD2Femzec"> description

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers