Login as a User

How to repair cracked clay roof tiles

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to repair cracked clay roof tiles
Asked: 2019-05-08 09:24:11
Do you repair cracked clay roof tiles? It's just a few, no more than 5, so I don't really want to pay a roofer to come out. Help a guy out please.

Answered: 2019-05-09 00:08:45

The hardest part about it all is getting up on the roof. Don't try if you're scared of heights (unless it's a one-story home!) Once you have safely reached the broken tiles, you’ll need to slightly lift the tiles that overlap on the ones that need removing. Do this using two pieces of timber to hold them up. Then, use a brick trowel to lift up the broken over the baton underneath and slide it down and out. Take away the pieces and take out the nail that's in there. Put in some roofing cement and slide in the new tile.

Answered: 2019-05-09 23:41:13

Ideally, you need to replace cracked roof tiles on a like-for-like basis. This is to maintain the weatherproofing of the roof and also its aesthetic. But as a short term solution, if you don't have a fresh tile, you can repair the cracked tile with roofing cement or silicone caulking. Simply fill in the cracks with the roofing cement, using a nozzle to be precise. Let it dry and there you go. Quick fix!

Answered: 2019-05-08 23:58:56

I know it's costly to call out a roofer, but it really is the safest way. It's not about the 5 tiles that are missing, it's also about what else he might find when he's up there. You aren't an expert when it comes to roofs, a roofer is. The other thing is that you may not have the necessary safety equipment and try going up with something makeshift. This is never a good idea. You can get such a bad head injury if you come off a roof, and how much would that cost you or your family? Pay the roofer.

Answered: 2019-05-09 22:13:48

If it's just some small holes, you can fill them in with roofing cement. I did anyway and it's keeping fine for a couple of years. If you need to get the tiles out then first pry up a tile just above the cracked or broken one, so you have access to the broken one. Then break the cracked tile, and remove the pieces. Also you need to force out any nails holding it. After this, put a small amount of roofing cement on the underside of the replacement tile, and simply slide it into place.

Answered: 2019-05-10 07:02:50

I'm not sure if you have a S-style clay roof, but they are most common where I live. I found this good resource and it helped me fix mine - no roofer required. description

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers