Login as a User

How to repair foam roof blisters

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to repair foam roof blisters
Asked: 2019-02-17 14:04:47
So, I did a little inspection of my roof and I can't believe the state it's in. I've got little blisters in several places. Can these be fixed? How?

Answered: 2019-02-18 20:42:04

If you've got quite a few blisters then it may be worth having the whole thing resprayed. Of course, you could try and do this yourself but is it really worth it? I always think when it comes to your roof, it's worth having a professional do the job. They'll cost you a bit more, but they know what they are doing. Do you really want to do a put-up job and then get a leak that causes more problems or even part of your roof caving in? Just step back and have a think about it.

Answered: 2019-02-18 21:06:05

Get a razor knife and pop the blisters. Feel to see if it's wet inside and then scrape out the blister and about a half inch round it too. You may need to get further to reach strong foam, and that's what you need. Then you can put some polyurethane caulk in to fill it. This is what I use and I think it's great. You need to let that dry, and it's going to take about ten days. After that, I'd recommend putting a seal on so that it will keep.

Answered: 2019-02-17 22:41:17

This article is pretty informative on fixing up your roof when blisters appear. description It's one I keep in my DIY storage file as I also have a foam roof. They're easier to fix than you might think. Don't be afraid to give it a try. I'm glad I did it myself.

Answered: 2019-02-18 07:35:00

Moisture, oil and incorrect application of the foam can cause blisters. If you have lots of blisters in the same place, then you should really find out what's causing them instead of just trying to fix them straight off, as more will just reappear. I wouldn't recommend just cutting out blisters and putting in coating, which is what a lot of people do. You might have to remove a whole layer and respray it. It sounds like you have many, so to be honest, I'd go for stripping it all and respraying it.

Answered: 2019-02-19 03:10:25

You need to cut the blisters out. Cut around them, not just into them. You'll need a pretty sharp blade to do this, but if you do a bit of DIY, I'm sure you'll have one. Then, it's simply a matter of filling with caulking, which is also easy to get, either online, or from a DIY store. Tool the caulking around the edges too. Should hold for a year or so.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers