Login as a User

How to measure a pitched roof area

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to measure a pitched roof area
Asked: 2019-04-25 06:30:09
We are thinking of reroofing our house and I know it's going to be quite the project. How do you determine the pitched roof area?

Answered: 2019-04-27 05:11:31

I just did this. Yes, it's a bit of a labor of love, but you can do it yourself. I would just say plan, plan, plan in advance before you do anything. Triple check that you have absolutely everything you need, or even might need, before you begin. Make sure you leave yourself with plenty of time too, and that it will be as dry as possible when you are doing the job. Now, measuring the pitched roof - do you know the pitch already? Divide that by 12. Square it. Add 1 and then get the square root. Multiply that by one floor of square footage of your house, et voila, you have the area.

Answered: 2019-04-25 17:14:30

Have you heard of roofing calculater? It's a tool online. I've got it saved as I work in a tiny community where we do everything ourselves. description if you follow their guidelines (and I think their diagrams are great too) then you will manage it, no problem.

Answered: 2019-04-26 06:53:53

Call up a good roofer and ask him. You'd be surprised how helpful people are. It's just a question, if the first one you try won't give you the information, then the next one will. It's just a bit of arithmetic at the end of the day, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. Someone else here will probably have it for you too.

Answered: 2019-04-25 19:22:45

Whatever you do, don't go up on your roof and try to measure it. It's silly. My next door neighbor was poking around up on his pitched roof and he took a tumble off it, broke several bones. To be honest, he's never been quite right since. Leave roofing to the professionals, I say. It's just too dangerous. There's a reason people train for these jobs and they have the right tools, equipment and know what they are doing.

Answered: 2019-04-27 04:27:13

All it takes is a bit of mathematical calculation. So, if you're good with numbers, you're sorted. If you're not, get a calculator. When you bought the house, you'll have had something saying the actual pitch. Then have a look at this video description and you will be able to measure it.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers