Login as a User

can you change a flat roof to a pitched roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. can you change a flat roof to a pitched roof
Asked: 2019-04-14 12:32:05
Our beautiful Florida bungalow has a flat roof. Our house is 50+ years old, and the signs are starting to show. We were just talking about it the other day, and we're wondering if it would be possible to convert our worn-out flat roof that’s in need of repairs to a pitched roof instead. Is this even possible? If anyone has any ideas or recommendations on this, it would be much appreciated!

Answered: 2019-04-16 03:58:21

My parents lived in their home with a flat roof for 60 years. They passed away a few years ago sadly and left their house to me. I wanted to renovate it to create more space and value, and I went ahead and switched from a flat roof to a pitched roof. You can do this too, but you have to have the right team and the right tools to do it. If that's the case then you'll be in for some exciting success with your housing project.

Answered: 2019-04-16 10:51:59

In today's day and age, when more than one million residential units are being built every month, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, pitched roofs are extremely popular. While you have an existing roof as you mentioned it's certainly possible for you to complete a roofing renovation to achieve the desired pitched roof. You will most likely need to remove the majority of your current roof, so be prepared for that.

Answered: 2019-04-16 13:26:08

I've lived in a few different homes over the years, and every single one of them needed roofing work done. I'm pretty familiar with roofing issues and materials, and I think you're doing the right thing by looking into changing to a pitched roof. You'll enjoy benefits like greater stability and durability in heavy rains, as well as thermal efficiency and rainwater reuse.

Answered: 2019-04-15 12:41:19

Yes, it's definitely possible to change the pitch of your roof. I can see why you may want a raised roof, and it's doable. You will need to do some extensive changes to your roof's structure and foundation, so my recommendation would be to call in a trustee local roofer for professional assistance. I think that will save you time and stress in the long run, which is well worth it. 

Answered: 2019-04-14 19:12:01

We had a similar issue with our home, and we contacted a local roofing company for their advice on what to do. They told us it was possible to make the change, but it was also going to be rather expensive project. That's why we ended up waiting a few years until we were ready financially and we had more time as well.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers