Login as a User

can you hae gutters with a metal roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. can you hae gutters with a metal roof
Asked: 2019-03-28 22:15:21
We just purchased a new home with a metal roof. By the looks of things I don't thing the gutters have ever been cleaned out. Is there anything anyone can tell me about cleaning up gutters with a metal roof? Can I have gutters with a metal roof or should I replace the roof or the gutters?

Answered: 2019-03-30 13:11:36

Your metal roof is great to have and as far as whether or not you should replace or intall new gutters yes you can have gutters on a metal roof. It gives you a lot of additional protection from snow, ice, wildfires and wind. In fact gutters are almost always installed with metal roofing systems, but you do need to be choosy about which gutter guard you select as each one has their own plus and minuses. description.

Answered: 2019-03-29 08:27:22

Speaking from a structural point of view - since gutters are water channels that funnel water from the roof of a structure to a safe drainage area metal roofs don't need them. The metal roofs are resistent to any damage gutters were made to prevent. That being said, you should have gutters because they play another part in protecting your home. The part of your home they protect are your house foundation, siding, and the ground surrounding your home. So you need to get your gutters cleaned out or replaced. description.

Answered: 2019-03-29 19:02:43

Great question with a complicated answer. The gutters were put on your metal roof with something else so what you need to know is if the fascia board with brackets or spikes and ferrules. That makes a difference in if you need to repair or replace the gutters but I highly recommend the gutters for your flat roof. We use fascia board as its more effectice with brackets. That way we know you'll have a durable and secure gutter system. description.

Answered: 2019-03-30 01:17:49

You can definitely clean or replace your gutters but they should be mounted as high as possible so you a good slope for any positive drainage you need. The problem is that every metal roofing system is different. Therefore you should contact your roofing contractor and let them tell you based on the manufacturer of your previous gutters if you should replace, repair or build a new metal roof with no gutters. description.

Answered: 2019-03-30 20:08:46

It depends on where you live. We live in Texas so we don't need gutters on our metal roof but in some areas of the country gutters are needed and unavoidable. If you live up north you can build a snowfence that helps keep the snow from sliding off the roof and taking the gutters out. There are also some great ideas for a standing seam for snowguards. I think I was told the S-5 appears to be the best system if you don't want to have gutters or have the cost of repairing them. description.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers