Login as a User

how long does a clay tile roof last

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how long does a clay tile roof last
Asked: 2020-01-24 08:04:22
My husband and I are in our late 20's and we are thinking about building our dream home. We are looking at different roofing options and we're strongly considering a clay tile roof. How long could we expect a new clay tile roof to last for? We just want to explore our options and make sure we reach the right decision that makes the most sense for our roof.

Answered: 2020-01-26 04:32:29

Clay tiles were a common choice for historical buildings because they can last for upwards of 100 years with the proper installation, maintenance and preservation, as highlighted by the U.S National Park Service.

Answered: 2020-01-25 10:01:40

Our family's farm house had clay tiles on it, and that roof lasted for 110 years before it finally had to be redone. That being said, my great grandfather and grandfather did an excellent job of maintaining the roof, regularly checking for cracks and any other problem areas. The more you put into your roof, the more you'll get out of it, think of it that way.

Answered: 2020-01-25 09:07:20

When we built our house we were debating between concrete and clay roof tiles. At the end of the day we decided to go with clay, mainly because these tiles are predicted to last closer to 100 years while concrete tiles may be more like 50 years. We just wanted to save our kids' the time and stress down the road hopefully once we pass the house down to them.

Answered: 2020-01-24 20:18:35

A clay tile roof should last for at least 50 years, if not more. A lot of variables go into how long your roof lasts for exactly, but clay tiles are pretty resilent to weather and environmental changes. I think it's a pretty safe bet for you to go ahead and put clay tiles on your roof, but you can check with a professional roofing company to be sure if you'd like.

Answered: 2020-01-26 04:12:50

We did the same as you, building our dream house a year ago. We looked at a lot of different options for roofing materials but at the end of the day we just couldn't go past clay tiles. They seem to last the longest out of all of them - some even surviving for more than 100 years it seems. I think this is a good option for you - it certainly worked for us!

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers