Login as a User

How to remove clay roof tiles

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to remove clay roof tiles
Asked: 2019-07-10 18:04:18
I've got a couple of cracked clay roof tiles that I want to take off. Suggestions from the audience please?

Answered: 2019-07-11 21:35:13

You'll be fine to do it yourself. Just make sure that you have someone with you as your spotter, and a good strong ladder. To remove a broken clay tile, you need to get a wedge of wood and slip that in under the tile that's broken. This will expose the nail, cos you've got to loosen that until you can pull it out. Be super careful not to damage any good tiles. When you're putting in new tiles, use tile clips - they are so much easier.

Answered: 2019-07-11 00:53:43

Here's a pretty comprehensive article about fixing a clay tile roof. Should sort you out. description

Answered: 2019-07-12 10:07:56

I'd call someone out, if I were you. If you get up there and the roof is old, you don't know how much damage you'll come across. You could crack more, simply because they've been weathered, or you might even slip off and break something. There'll be at least one roofer in your area that specializes in clay roofs, do yourself a favor and just call one of them.

Answered: 2019-07-10 20:11:49

I had a few broken tiles last summer. Went up there, made sure I had my harness on. You can definitely take care of it yourself, but be careful! So, once you've seen which ones are broken, get a crowbar - you can slide this in under the tile and tap it out until the rest breaks, you can also use the crowbar to pull out the nail. You'll find videos on Youtube showing you how to put on new times.

Answered: 2019-07-10 22:25:59

Get some replacement tiles and climbing ropes. Only go up on your roof if you are confident that you can do the job. I used some wood to hold up the tiles and then a trowel to lift and remove the broken ones, sliding up and over. Then I slid in the new tiles with the brick trowel too. It's fairly delicate and you need to take your time, but you'll be proud of your work after.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers