Login as a User

how to felt a flat roof shed

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to felt a flat roof shed
Asked: 2019-05-20 11:08:23
I've heard you can felt a flat roof shed but I've never done it and I need to. Does anyone know how much this may be or how hard it may be for just one person to do it as I'm by myself and trying to do it alone.

Answered: 2019-05-20 21:40:50

I'm a DIY enthusiast and I do it in six steps. I preparing the roof for the felt to be laid and then I lay the first underlay felt. I lay the second one and add any gutter drips. I then lay the top bonded layer of felt and install any verge edge and edging to any flashings and vertical walls. I make my own finishing touches. description

Answered: 2019-05-21 07:15:26

Measure your roof as well as the drop. Measure the felt and cut them so you have pieces with a over-lap between them. Once you have it measured, cut and overlapping, tack the felt in place with just a few widely-spaced clouts. If you're happy with the positioning, nail it down. You final piece needs to be lined up with an over-hang on three sides. and tack it into place. Its that easy. description

Answered: 2019-05-20 16:42:50

It is this easy and I've done it by myself so you can too. This is what you do - Step 1: Measure the roof - Step 2: Buy the roof felt - Step 3: Clean and prepare the roof - Step 4: Roll out the first layer of felt - Step 5: Allow for felt overhang - Step 6: Tack and secure the felt - Step 7: Nail the felt - Step 8: Add new felt layers - Step 9: Repeat for the other side of the roof - Step 10: Final review and weatherproofing description

Answered: 2019-05-21 16:16:37

Cut the felt and fit the length of the roof with a utility knife. Lay the first piece along one edge of the roof, allowing one side to hang over the edge by about 2 inches. Use a hammer tacker with roofing staples or a hammer with roofing nails. Add nails or staples every 6 inches. Keep adding more rows using this same process. On the last row, staple or nail all four sides to the plywood underneath. I like to use three layers so I do this all over again three times. description

Answered: 2019-05-21 23:33:13

Make sure you use felt with galvanised clout nails when you nail down the first layer of felt. I always like to nail at the center and work out. Paint a thin layer of adhesive over the first felt and do your second and third layer. On your third one make sure you cover the edges of the felt with a layer of adhesive to the top for maximum waterproofing. description

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers