Login as a User

how much pondng is acceptable on a flat roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how much pondng is acceptable on a flat roof
Asked: 2019-07-14 23:24:04
We just bought a home that has a flat roof and noticed that water ponds on it after a storm. Is this normal or do we need to be worried about it? When should we be worried and have something done to address the ponding issues to ensure that the situation doesn’t get worse?

Answered: 2019-07-16 08:59:19

Ponding is normal on a flat roof. You don’t have to worry about it unless you see that the water is starting to become an inch or so deep or if it stays on your roof for a few days. Other than that, you should be fine with ponding every now and then.

Answered: 2019-07-15 11:00:40

I wouldn’t worry about the ponding until you notice that the roof starts leaking. If it isn’t leaking, there isn’t anything to worry about. Many people assume that ponding water is a sign that something is wrong but it actually just very common with flat roofs, so I’d wait to worry until you have evidence that something is really wrong.

Answered: 2019-07-15 20:44:45

Ponding is common with flat roofs. I saw on description that if ponding stays for more than a few days, something could be wrong. I would just pay attention to the ponding and see if it goes away on its own or not. If it doesn’t have a roofer come out as soon as possible to look at it.

Answered: 2019-07-16 02:55:00

Flat roofs commonly pond. This is because there isn’t much of a pitch on flat roofs and thus the water cannot drain away the same way that it can on a roof with more of a pitch. Ponding that occurs for a long period of time isn’t normal, though so just pay attention to how long the ponding lasts.

Answered: 2019-07-16 23:48:16

Ponding should never happen on any roof. When water ponds, it can easily seep into the home and cause structural damage that is very costly to repair. If you see water ponding, hire a roofer to come look at it right away to do an inspection and determine why water is ponding and what can be done.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers