Login as a User

How to paint on a steep pitched roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to paint on a steep pitched roof
Asked: 2019-07-18 21:17:55
I'm pretty good at DIY, I've painted most of our house, our shed and its roof. I think it's time to have a go at the roof, but it's a steep pitch. Can anyone who has done it advise me how to go about that?

Answered: 2019-07-20 03:07:29

Ok, here's what I do. I put a ladder jack upside down at the end of a long ladder (i.e. one section of a 40'), then bolt it on so it doesn't slip off. You can wrap it with rags so it won't damage the roof, and use it as a hook over the ridge of the roof.Slide it up the roof with the jack pointing up toward the sky, then when it gets up past the ridge, flip it over. Do the opposite to take it down after. Make sure the ladder you're standing on is tied to the gutter or something.

Answered: 2019-07-19 00:55:53

You're not qualified to be up on a steep roof and you sound overconfident. This is not about how good a painter you are, or how good at DIY. Being up on a steep roof is reserved for those who have been trained what to do and know how to do it safely. For god's sake, just call professional painters that specialize in roofs.

Answered: 2019-07-19 05:20:11

Don't even attempt this without roof brackets. What's important is your safety, and yeah, it's tricky to do. I've done it a few times but I've got roof brackets. I also make sure I'm in a harness that is clipped to something sturdy. So, it's not really about the painting, but more about you staying safe and managing to paint it at the same time.

Answered: 2019-07-19 18:56:22

Ha, it's not the easiest, but it certainly can be done. This is a good DIY method that will help you description I love foolproof instructions.

Answered: 2019-07-19 14:20:33

Get yourself a hook ladder. That's one that goes all the way up the roof and over the other side. Also, please wear safety gear - something on your head and make sure that you are firmly attached to something other than the ladder - sliding off a roof HURTS! If you can get one that rolls along that will help too, and a spray gun for the painting bit.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers