Login as a User

how long does a flat roof last

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how long does a flat roof last
Asked: 2019-04-24 20:41:44
We've recently moved home and this one has a flat roof. I've never had one before so I'm wondering how long they last? The roof has been on around 11 years.

Answered: 2019-04-26 11:38:58

First thing you should do is inspect your roof, if you're confident that you know what you're looking for. Or, get someone who does know. Things that you should look out for are pools of water, especially if you've not had rain for around a week - that could indicate there's a problem. Obviously if there's any rips or tears in the material, then you're going to have to get that fixed too. Our flat roof has been on 18 years, but I inspect it after every storm, and at least every 9 months. Roofs cost a fortune if there's a problem

Answered: 2019-04-26 08:26:50

Inspect it. See what material it is and find out about that specific material. If it's been on 11 years, then they probably did a good job on it and it should be up there for another 5 - 10 years. This is a helpful inspection video: href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGbhNamrf1s" > description

Answered: 2019-04-25 01:59:58

It really depends how it was installed. If it was installed well, it could last you around 20 years, so you won't have to worry about it. What you need to do every year is get up there and inspect it, and then you'll see what kind of condition it is. It depends on the weather where you are too.

Answered: 2019-04-26 07:34:48

Dale's roofing has a video on this, I found it pretty good: href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9mzPPlEjNE" > description The number is on there too, so if you have any questions, you can just give them a quick call.

Answered: 2019-04-25 23:29:19

What material is it? You haven't said but not all flat roofs are the same. A built up roof is very cost effective, but can be quite heavy and lasts between 15 - 20 years. A PVC roof is great in very hot climes, and must be installed by someone very experienced so have been known to last up to 30 years! EPDM is like rubber stickers and those go after around 15 years. TPO, you're looking at between 20 - 25 years. Spray on coatings last around 20 years and modified bitumen, it's somewhere around 10 - 20 years, really depends on the condition.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers