Login as a User

how to build a pitched roof pergola

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to build a pitched roof pergola
Asked: 2019-03-06 13:50:41
I just love the way a pergola looks in the summertime and finally think i will be getting mine completed this year! Unfortunately, most pergolas only have flat roofs which makes them kind of plain in my book. Due to this, i really want my structure to be built with a pitched roof. How do I make this happen?

Answered: 2019-03-06 17:00:28

I'd probably opt for a simple slanted roof on your pergola if it is going to be attached to your house. with that said, use your house as the higher end of the slope and simply cut your supporting beams a little shorter to create the angle you want. Once you have the beams secured, continue to add your shade battens, bamboo, or other coverings (full instructions can be found here: description

Answered: 2019-03-07 23:24:07

Building a slanted roof on those pergola things is easy. Just make sure that your beams are higher on one side and adjust your shade battens accordingly. If you want to add even more shade/coverage, just add some plywood on top of it and nail it down. Easy peasy.

Answered: 2019-03-08 14:48:42

No offense, you sound kind of bougie. But anyway, building a pitched roof for a pergola isn’t too hard and generally can be done with very little trouble if you are even a little handy (and have some help) Instead of me trying to break it down, check out this article on how to build your pitched roof: description

Answered: 2019-03-07 13:06:11

When you go to build your pergola, be sure that all supporting beams are even and opt to buy a pretty gable bracket to help support everything while the process is being completed. Once you have that in place you will be able to assemble your pergola as you would one with a flat roof.

Answered: 2019-03-06 20:58:50

Most people turn their pergolas into completely covered structures within a year or two. Don’t bother with the hassle of a pitched roof because you probably won’t use it as much as you think you will (they really don’t provide THAT MUCH shade and definitely don’t offer cover from rain) So instead of making this project harder on yourself, let it stay plain and thank me in a couple of years when you choose to convert it into a patio.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers