Login as a User

why stones on flat roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. why stones on flat roof
Asked: 2019-10-10 09:34:59
The house next door to us has a flat roof. I saw the roofers bringing up gravel to the roof. Why are the bringing up gravel? What is it used for? It seems weird to put gravel on top of a roof and I just don’t get what the purpose of it is.

Answered: 2019-10-11 14:32:09

Gravel can be used by roofers to create a protective barrier on flat roofs. The gravel keeps hail or UV rays from damaging the newly installed roof. It doesn’t take a lot of gravel to protect the roof, so the homeowner doesn’t have to worry about the slightly added weight.

Answered: 2019-10-10 17:27:35

When a new roof is installed, the materials need to be kept secure. The weight of gravel can help to keep everything in place regardless of the weather conditions around the roof. The gravel is often applied in a very thin layer to ensure that the roof can be accessed when needed.

Answered: 2019-10-10 17:45:12

I found on description that roofers often put gravel on flat roofs to help with evaporation of liquids. When it rains or snows, the water will collect and pool on a flat roof. The gravel helps to create keep the water off of the roof to better the chances of quick evaporation.

Answered: 2019-10-10 17:08:26

Many roofers use gravel on flat roofs because it’s just enough weight to keep the new materials in place and protect them from the sun. Sun exposure can cause the materials to dry out and not be as effective as possible. This allows the materials to have time to cure and decrease the chances of unnecessary repairs in the near future.

Answered: 2019-10-10 18:34:48

Built up roofs are common for flat roofs because they are really affordable and easy to install. The roofers have to install the roofing felt and layer it with asphalt. They put gravel on last to keep everything secure so that the roof is as solid as it can possibly be at all times.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers