Login as a User

How to make clay roof tiles at home?

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to make clay roof tiles at home?
Asked: 2019-08-11 14:57:08
Have any of you ever made clay roof tiles yourselves? I love the look of them and heard that it can be done, but I'd love to hear from someone how they did it.

Answered: 2019-08-11 19:26:38

I tried, but failed unfortunately. I think there's a special machine you can get, which makes it really easy, but all the videos in the world didn't help me. So, if you really find a foolproof way, perhaps you can share it with me. I'm interested to see if anyone has had a good result.

Answered: 2019-08-13 03:28:22

Making tiles is quite a simple process and yes, you can definitely save money if you find the clay yourself (clay can be found in lots of places naturally, perhaps even your own yard!) I used this site so I'm sharing it for you. Post some photos when you're done! description

Answered: 2019-08-12 23:56:40

Yeah, I actually did. It was super easy. Now, I will say that you need to live somewhere where the sun is pretty strong and there's plenty of it. If you want clay to harden, you'll probably need to leave it out a few weeks, and there's just no point if it starts to rain. You will need to buy a sizeable quantity of clay, and you do need to work it well beforehand, although if you're prepared to do a bit of digging, you might find your own source. I rolled them out on a table and then I got some templates to make the shape I wanted. It worked a treat!

Answered: 2019-08-12 01:34:21

All you need is clay, a roller and you can make your own homemade kiln out of bricks. So, you source clay locally and then you determine what size you want them to be. When you have the size and you've measured the area, then you can estimate how many tiles you're going to need. Some might crack so don't just make the exact amount that you need. When you've got the clay, you've got to pound it around a bit to get all the air out of it. Then you call roll it and cut it into the sizes you want. Make it between a quarter to half an inch thick. Then you can pop them in the kiln. Remember it will take a couple of days for them to bake to a good hardness.

Answered: 2019-08-13 05:38:54

I really enjoyed making my tiles and found it really easy. I purchased the clay, but it was pretty cheap anyway. I just cut it into rectangular pieces so I didn't need a template (I measured it though) and they baked for around 17 days in the sun and were perfect. Now they're on my roof.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers