Login as a User

How to repair a leaky clay tile roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to repair a leaky clay tile roof
Asked: 2019-02-13 12:25:52
Can you tell me how I will repair my roof? It's clay tile and it's been leaking. I know it's been up there for some time, but the previous owners repaired it themselves, so I think I can manage to do the same.

Answered: 2019-02-13 23:14:05

You think you can repair it? Listen friend, unless you've repaired dozens, if not hundreds of roofs, like me, over the years, then you're going to do a botched job, I promise you. This is not a job for amateurs. Why? First of all, you've probably got a sloped roof. Do you have the equipment to go up on a sloped roof? Probably not. Secondly, you're asking how to do it on a forum. That tells me you know jack, you haven't even a clue what substance to buy, let alone how to apply it. Seriously, call a roofer. He'll give you a quote, do the job quickly, clean up and clear off. It will be far less stressful and what's more, the job will actually last.

Answered: 2019-02-14 19:59:11

This is what I recommend you get, if you don't already have: Nails Wet saw Hanger strap Pry bar Hammer RT-600 Tile Roof Sealer in Terracotta color Caulk gun Waterproof membrane Mortar. Get rid of any trash that has built up on your roof, or anything growing in the cracks. Get yourself on Wikihow, and you'll be able to do it yourself. Just take your time and do it right so that the results will last.

Answered: 2019-02-14 03:20:13

Broken tiles will need to be replaced completely. You will need to remove the damaged tiles using a pry bar. Use a hammer to help with the removal, but be careful that you don't damage any good tiles. If your roof is old, then it's likely that the tiles were fixed in using mortar. If this is the case, seal the new tiles in with mortar too. If there are nails, then use nails. Place the new tile on the holder lash, and after that hang it where the new tile will need to be fitted. Ensure that you don’t force the tile in place. Use a wet saw to cut the edges, if it is needed. Next, hammer the nails into the top of the tiles, which will secure the new tile to the roof. Apply mortar or RT-600 to the sides to make sure that there is a complete seal.

Answered: 2019-02-15 08:12:32

A few steps to mend a cracked or broken roof tile. You'll need to get some replacement tiles (or make them).1 Carefully pry up the tile (or tiles) just above the cracked or broken one.2 Break the faulty tile, then remove the pieces. Also pry out any nails.3 Spread a small amount of roofing cement along the underside of the replacement, and slide it into place. I'd use adhesive, rather than nails, to hold the tile. 4 Press all tiles down gently but firmly, so they stay.

Answered: 2019-02-14 08:36:36

I always find that videos help me best, but then I'm a pretty visual person. I don't think it's an ad, but I have used this sealant and I can say that it works. Hope it works for you. description

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers