Login as a User

how to replace a flat roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to replace a flat roof
Asked: 2019-11-29 01:20:53
It's time to replace the flat roof on the left side of our house. I knew it was coming over the past few years, but only now I'm coming to research it. Any advice on how I should do this please?

Answered: 2019-11-29 03:09:56

And that's where Wikihow comes in! I swear, I always leave things to the last minute too and now I have Wikihow, I'm not worried. Isn't the internet brilliant? My own tip is - don't do it on a hot day, if you can wait til it's a little cooler. href="https://www.wikihow.com/Replace-a-Flat-Roof" > description

Answered: 2019-11-29 20:27:39

Putting on a new flat roof isn't that difficult, but you will have to choose a material. It's taking off the old roof that surprisingly requires some finesse. I used this video and I've already recommended it to my uncle, who said it was great too. href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX6C_lliZa4" > description

Answered: 2019-11-29 02:35:09

First you need to remove the old roof, you can't just stick a new flat roof on top of an old or rotten one. That's not exactly straightforward, so I recommend you get an instruction video or manual - your library will have something in the DIY section for sure. Then, I recommend putting down EPDM. Measure the length and width of the roof and then ask the supplier to cut it to size for you (this is done as standard), I'd add a few cm each side for the overhang. This is dead easy and you just unfold it on the roof, line it up with the edges and then use a roller to cover with adhesive. Roll it out and smooth out any bumps. Leave it to dry. Hey, presto!

Answered: 2019-11-29 02:57:57

Mate, if you don't know what you're doing, then leave it to someone who does. Roofing isn't a sport, and it's best left to people who are actually trained to do it. Seriously, by the time you buy all the tools required, the materials - and don't forget - the SAFETY equipment - then you'll save what? A couple of hundred dollars. Proper roofers will do it in less time and save you a whole load of hassle.

Answered: 2019-11-30 11:15:52

Working on a flat roof is actually more difficult than a pitched roof, believe it or not (and that's from a contractor). You don't mention what material you want to use, and that's kind of important, as they are laid differently - like PVC membrane is installed on a board, modified bitumen is installed in layers and finished with a blow-torch. Unless you are using EPDM, I would leave it to a professional.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers