Login as a User

how to pour a concrete roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to pour a concrete roof
Asked: 2019-09-06 06:51:42
I have to admire my husband. He works so hard at his job and then he comes home and wants to tackle home improvement projects by himself. Next up on his list is pouring a concrete roof on our new garage. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on this process that I can pass along to my husband?

Answered: 2019-09-07 05:43:48

Nice! I'm super into DIY construction yourself and I put a concrete roof on our garage last summer. I can't stress enough just how crucial it is to double check every measurement and make sure there's a strong enough foundation to support the roof. There's no sense putting on a concrete roof if it's just going to collapse and cause a bigger headache. Another thing I'd like to add is that concrete roofs can be green roofs, as touched on by students at Yale University. It's really pretty neat what you can do with your roof nowadays. I hope this helps - best of luck!

Answered: 2019-09-07 16:30:10

That's nice that you have a handy husband! While mine isn't very handy, my brother is more so. I call on him when we have projects like this and then watch him do his work! My brother says that the number one thing to remember when pouring a concrete roof is that framework is everything. You need to have the concrete frames in place first before you begin pouring the mixture and starting the rest of the process. Don't let your husband forget that!

Answered: 2019-09-06 21:37:32

I work in the office for a construction company and I know many of the guys who work with concrete roofs. They tell me that there's no sense putting on a concrete roof if your garage doesn't have the strong foundations to support the roof. If it does then that's great and you can proceed with the project confidently knowing that your garage can uphold this heavy yet extremely durable roof. Just make sure of this before going ahead with the project.

Answered: 2019-09-06 21:27:56

That's cool that your husband is willing to do this project for you - I'd keep him around! I think the most important thing for him to remember is that concrete weighs a lot, and he needs to have the proper framework and foundations in place to support this heavy roof. If your garage has a solid shell with the walls and the flooring, it's much more likely to work with a new concrete roof. If it's made of wood then he's going to need to make some significant structural adjustments to get the job done.

Answered: 2019-09-08 07:38:58

Sounds neat - I hope that project goes well for you! When I looked on How Stuff Works, it became quite clear that your husband needs to double check the foundations and framework before moving forward with this project. While this style of roof requires more support due to its weight, concrete roofing can minimize the risk of damage due to fire and pests. I hope he does his proper preparation so that this project is a big success for your family!

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers