Login as a User

can you insulate a flat roof from the inside

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. can you insulate a flat roof from the inside
Asked: 2019-02-02 14:25:47
We have an older home that is simply not insulated well. We know that we are wasting a lot of money trying to keep the temperature in the home consistent. Can we insulate the roof from the interior of the home if it is a flat roof or do we need to do it from the exterior of the house?

Answered: 2019-02-03 18:22:06

You can insulate the house from the interior, but most roofers won’t encourage it. When insulation is put on the interior of an already built flat roof, it allows condensation to build up which can lead to mold growth which can be deadly. It’s best to instead hire a roofer to install an external insulation onto your home.

Answered: 2019-02-04 01:57:38

If I were you, I would hire a roofer to advise you on what your best option is. This allows you to be sure that you don’t cause any damage to your home and that you have the best insulation that you can possibly have. The roofer can give you an estimate for what the installation of the insulation will cost so you can determine if it’s a cost worth investing in or not.

Answered: 2019-02-04 03:00:13

I tried to insulate my home from the interior myself and ended up causing more damage than I thought it would. I saw on description that a hot roof is a better option for a flat roof. This caused me to hire a roofer to install insulation over the weatherproofing and then install another layer of weatherproofing. Since I had the insulation installed, my house has been so much easier to heat and cool.

Answered: 2019-02-04 12:19:13

Have a roofer look at your roof to see if you have insulation on the roof of your home. If you don’t have a lot of it, you can have more of it added to the exterior of the home to ensure that it is as insulated as it can be.

Answered: 2019-02-03 03:54:43

My grandfather had a flat roof and he just pushed insulation in between the beams of his roof and was able to better insulate his home. He did replace the insulation every few years, so I guess it wasn’t in place long enough to grow mold because we never saw any when we helped replace it.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers