Login as a User

how to construct a valley on a pitched roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to construct a valley on a pitched roof
Asked: 2019-06-07 02:24:15
My husband is driving himself (and me!) crazy by trying to put a roof on our new garage. He tells me that he has to put a valley on a pitched roof. Does anyone have any idea how this needs to be done? I'm trying to help him but it's hard when we are trying to save money and get this done ourselves with limited knowledge.

Answered: 2019-06-08 00:56:04

Constructing a valley on a pitched roof is no easy feat, let me tell you. My fiancé and I worked at it for days before we finally got it right. Your husband will need to make very careful measurements before actually going ahead and assembling the roof. Having the right measurements, and double checking them, is one of the most important things to remember.

Answered: 2019-06-07 21:50:06

Ah, I know the struggle. My husband was the same when we were fixing up our house. You have to admire their determination and tenacity, that's for sure. You'll need a valley rafter that runs from the wall plate to the ridge and along the valley. If that doesn't make any sense to you, see if you can chat with a local contractor or handyman who can help.

Answered: 2019-06-07 13:51:55

Make sure your husband measures every piece of wood before he goes ahead and tries to put anything together. My man is a bit bombastic and he started building the roof without double checking the measurements. Man was that a piece of work! Confirming that everything is correct will save you bigtime.

Answered: 2019-06-07 23:29:53

With 200,000+ roofing contractors across the country according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics,

We want to listen to your answers