Login as a User

how to install a flat roof window

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. how to install a flat roof window
Asked: 2019-10-24 17:14:05
Our home doesn’t have a lot of natural light. I want to be able to add more light to the space and am wondering if I can add a window to my roof to let in more of the light. I have a flat roof, though. Is it possible to add a window to a flat roof or will it damage the house?

Answered: 2019-10-24 21:15:22

Skylights can be added to any roof. A hole just needs to be cut, a frame needs to be put into place and flashing added to keep water from coming in around the edges of the skylight. Once it’s installed, you’ll have ample light in your home during the day and be able to see the stars at night.

Answered: 2019-10-25 04:07:53

Adding a skylight to a flat roof can be dangerous. The window could allow water to pond and then seep into the home. Skylights that you buy from home improvement stores come with everything you need to install them. Follow the directions closely and you should be able to install them properly.

Answered: 2019-10-26 17:04:00

I had a skylight installed on my flat roof. I used description to determine what steps needed to be taken to ensure that the skylight was installed properly. I hired a roofer and he helped me choose the right location and did all of the work for me. I love it and think it’s a great addition to my home.

Answered: 2019-10-26 00:40:08

I don’t think you can install a skylight on a flat roof. The roof doesn’t have enough of a pitch for the water to drain off of it. This will lead to the roof leaking and a ton of structural damage. Instead, consider just adding more windows to the house rather than the roof.

Answered: 2019-10-25 20:15:31

You should have a roofer come to your home to tell you if a skylight can be added to your flat roof. They will be able to tell you if it can be installed in the location where you want it to be. It needs to be installed at the lowest point of your roof for proper drainage.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers