Login as a User

How to lay roofing felt on a pitched roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to lay roofing felt on a pitched roof
Asked: 2019-05-16 11:26:33
Can you guys tell me how exactly you laid roofing felt on a pitched roof?

Answered: 2019-05-16 14:48:24

It's pretty labor intensive. I'd look up a video and study it carefully before you do it. You're going to need to measure the roof first to see how much felt you need. Then put on an underlay. Apply the felt from one side to the other, starting at the bottom. You'll have to do some flashing too, if you haven't done that.

Answered: 2019-05-17 20:02:18

I followed this article here. Stuck it onto my ladder as a reminder, so I could peer at it. But I had studied it beforehand. Get someone else to help too. Also, make sure someone makes your lunch - it'll give you an appetite haha. description

Answered: 2019-05-17 21:30:37

It's quite the process, so I'm not going to write it all out here, but suffice to say, these are the steps. 1. You need to prep your roof, make sure it's clean. 2. Lay down an underlay. 3. Put on a second layer, but bond this to the first one. 4. Put in gutter drips. 5. Put on another layer and bond that too. 6. Install verge edge to vertical wall (if required). 7. Seal any gaps with adhesive. Don't do this in winter or when it's cold.

Answered: 2019-05-17 11:29:19

First, you need to know that this is a two-person job. You need to decide on a weight, but I always reckon that 15 pounds is about right. To begin, nail metal drip-edge flashing that bends over the roof and down the edge of the facing board, on all roof edges. Fasten the drip edge on eaves with galvanized nails and a hammer, with gaps of 12 inches, before you lay the roof felt. Don't put drip edge on angled gable ends until after you have laid the felt, so the metal edge can block any breezes from lifting it. Then, start the roof felt at one bottom corner of the roof. Tack it in place at the corner, with the end flush with the end of the roof and the bottom edge of the roll right along the bottom of the roof deck, over the drip edge. Roll out around 10 feet of felt and fasten with staples or roofing nails with plastic washer heads. Use a construction stapler or a hammer. Put fasteners about every 8 inches or more. Leave the top portion of the paper loose. Overlay a second layer of felt 2 to 3 inches and fasten it through the overlay so it secures the top of the felt underneath. Align this layer with the bottom of the roof; snap a chalk line the length of the roof, spaced to the width of the felt roll, to aid in keeping layers straight. Continue along the roof to the other end and trim the felt flush at the end with a utility knife. Overlap the end of a roll about 4 inches with the start of a new roll and fasten both pieces to the decking.Fit felt around vent pipes or other things that jut out by cutting it with a utility knife and fastening around the bottom of the vent. Lay it over metal flashing edges around vents and pipes. Work up the roof to the peak and fold felt over the top, overlapping at least 3 inches and fasten it on both sides. Do the other side of the roof the same way, also with an overlap at the peak. There you go :)

Answered: 2019-05-17 14:49:59

I know I sound like a broken record on these posts, but have you seen Wikihow? I do all my DIY with stuff I've printed off there, it's just the best. Seriously, check it out, I bet they have one for felt on a pitched roof.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers