Login as a User

How to reduce heat from a concrete roof

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to reduce heat from a concrete roof
Asked: 2019-10-05 15:34:32
Can someone tell me how to reduce the heat in your house when you've got a concrete roof? We're stifled here.

Answered: 2019-10-06 18:46:02

Solar panels are the way forward. They are super as well, because all that energy from the sun isn't going to waste, you're actually putting it to use (well, at least you can put it to use). For use, it meant not having to put the water heater on for more than 5 months every year - that saves some energy bills with 5 of us here, I can tell you.

Answered: 2019-10-07 02:04:54

You need an elastomeric coating on the roof. This will improve the solar reflectance of your roof surface. It's also a watertight sheath over your roof, so it protects against any moisture build-up too, which is important in places where it gets pretty humid (we're here in the South, so I know all about it). You can get elastomeric coating in all good home improvement stores, to be honest, probably even the bad ones haha.

Answered: 2019-10-05 21:11:28

Paint it. Honestly, that is the simplest and cheapest way. Now, I'm not saying the paint is going to be cheap, because I paid nearly $150 for 5 gallons, but then cheap is relative, right? Get a good reflective paint or a white coating. You can order it on Amazon if you're out in the sticks somewhere and can't get to a good hardware.

Answered: 2019-10-06 10:19:02

I found a great article a while back, cos we have been suffering with this problem too. I don't know where you're located but this gives you ten options so you should find something that works. description

Answered: 2019-10-05 19:47:21

If you've got a good home store near you, pick up a prefabricated vinyl covering that you can apply to your roof. You can roll it on, which is quite easy but just takes time to get it right, and it sticks with chemical adhesive. A broom or something can get any bubbles or creases out. It worked for us!

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers