Login as a User

How to remove spray foam roof insulation

1. Questions
  2. >
  3. Category: Roofing
  4. >
  5. How to remove spray foam roof insulation
Asked: 2020-01-08 00:35:20
I need to make some simple repairs to my roof, but I've gotta remove the spray foam insulation first. I know you guys will be able to assist me here, as spray foam insulation is pretty common. How do I get rid of it?

Answered: 2020-01-08 04:32:32

If it was applied professionally, then you'll have a hard time getting it off. All the acetone in the world will just poison you and the special knives required may not even help. I'd just call someone in. If you know who did it originally, they'll be best placed to help you.

Answered: 2020-01-08 18:59:40

There's a good DIY entry on this that gives you a couple of options. description I needed a hammer and saw to get mine off.

Answered: 2020-01-08 06:49:09

Good old nail polish remover, believe it or not! Well, one that has acetone in it, as I believe some don't now. I have a stack of it in the house with my wife and two daughters and I don't even mind because it's handy for round the house. Do wear a protective mask, as that stuff is toxic, but it will do the job on melting away those foam bits that have hardened.

Answered: 2020-01-09 16:59:36

Paint thinner. It works well on spray foam insulation that has dried. Don't use it in a confined space - you need to make sure it's well ventilated where you are using it. Also, don't use water, as it causes the foam to cure. You can also buy a particular knife that is good for removing the spray foam, particularly stubborn bits.

Answered: 2020-01-08 05:15:06

Have you heard of dry ice blasting? It's a safe way to remove the build-up of spray foam. If you have huge chunks of it, then you're not goiong to manage it on your own, but I'd look into dry ice blasting as it's a great way to remove it. Our neighbor showed it to us last year, when he was having his roof re-done. It looked great and was really quick at removing the spray foam. We're looking into having it done shortly too.

We want to listen to your answers

Featured Treatment Providers